All About International Passport: Explained in 2024
February 1, 2024
3 min. read
When we think about an international US passport, we usually think about a document that allows us to travel overseas, how to get it as smoothly as possible, and mistakes to avoid along the way.
At the same time, we might imply the international passport app for global entry under that word too.
Let’s make it all clear here in this article. Step by step.
As a rule of thumb, you need an international US passport to travel abroad from the United States on business or for pleasure. There are some destination spots where you can travel without an internationally required passport.
This usually involves traveling by sea or land to such countries as Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. You don’t need an international type of passport to fly to Alaska as a non-contiguous US state and to such territories as the US Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, and Guam. Of course, you will need some type of allowed ID but not a passport.
There are a few ways to obtain an international passport. They depend on whether you owned one before, whether you qualify to renew by mail, or have life-or-death emergency and require urgent passport services with the passport agency or center.
You need to apply in person, if one of these applies to your application. Otherwise, you might apply by mail.
- This is your first international passport-to-be (first-time applicants).
- Your recent passport was issued when you were under 16.
- Your recent passport was lost, stolen, or damaged.
- Your recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
You can learn the most up-to-date information about international travel and passports at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel.html and https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/
You can renew your international type of passport by mail with passport services if all the following conditions are met:
- You’ve got your most recent passport to attach to the application.
- Never report it lost, damaged, or stolen.
- Issued within the last 15 years.
- Issued when aged 16 or older.
You can learn about how to renew your document by using the link: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html
To make it super easy, fill out the required form promptly and then conveniently print it out, using the Form Filler on the official website of the US Department of State at https://pptform.state.gov/.
Get the job done on your first attempt and avoid delays in your application process. Ace the task by following the recommendations:
- Choose the correct form and fill it out at https://pptform.state.gov/.
- Don’t leave any questions unanswered.
- Enter all the long numbers correctly (double-check), including your Social Security number.
- Print out your application form for your international travel passport but don’t sign it until you are to do so in front of the officer.
- Be sure to follow the new passport photo rules. Or just get a Rite Aid passport photo online—the parameters will be tuned automatically.
- Remember to provide valid proof of your citizenship documents.
- Attach supporting documents of your name change if applicable (court order, marriage certificate, or divorce decree).
- Remember that you can check your application status online once it reaches the passport agency.
As for international travel and entry back to the United States, we also need to touch upon the international travel entry passport program. The so-called Trusted Traveler Program Enrollment.
Once you qualify and join the program as a pre-approved, low-risk traveler, there are travel benefits to enjoy on your arrival. For example, the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program gives quicker clearance for participating travelers.
Here, we can also remember that there is one more processing technology option for US travelers. It’s the Global Entry Mobile App. This app is suitable for iOS or Android devices. How does it work?
For example, if you are coming back by air from Punta Cana using your US passport, all you need is to download the app from the App Store or Google Play before you enter the Federal Inspection Services area and follow the instructions. It’s quick and easy to enter the US ports this way.
Learn more at https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry
Please note that joining the program or using the app is not a substitute for applying and holding an international travel passport.
How much is an international passport?
Usually, the costs are between $130 and $225 for an international adult’s passport. The expedited service will constitute another $60 payable to the US Department of State.
The costs for an international child’s passport are slightly cheaper. Ensure you calculate the amount correctly for your check or money order before applying for your international travel document as your passport. First-time applicants also pay the execution fee of $30.
Where to get an international passport application?
You can use the Form Filler tool at the official website of the US Department of State. You can select the right parameters, fill out the form online, and save or print it at once. Remember not to sign it until you are applying at the passport office.