The Perfect Woman Passport Photo: When Beauty Meets Business Style
If taking a picture for travel credentials is a big deal for you, it’s only understandable: after all, once your picture’s done, you’ll be stuck with it for the next decade or so!
The whole passport photo thing may be especially cumbersome for women. For many ladies, looking as beautiful as always isn’t enough: they want to look their very best, and this can be a challenge if you’re to follow UK rules.
However, it is possible to take a woman passport photo that’s gorgeous and requirement-compliant at the same time. Just follow our useful tips to make a picture both you and His Majesty’s Passport Office will love!
Unsure what look you want to have in your picture? Let’s skip the agonies of choosing and turn to the tried-and-true business style. A professional-looking woman passport photo is sure to stand the trial of time!
Should you decide to follow the latest trends instead, you may well cringe at your picture a few years later. Believe us, a business-like female passport photo will never cause such emotion.
Use the tips below to create a rules-compliant and professional look:
- Dress as if you’re up for a job interview. This means no tank tops or bright-coloured dresses (even though both are technically allowed in UK passport photos). Opt for business attire: for example, a formal blouse with a neutrally-coloured blazer will be a perfect fit.
- Pick the right hairstyle. Something business-like and neat will do perfectly. When choosing your hairdo, remember the key principle: no strand can cover your face. So, consider having a nice ponytail or a tight bun at the back of your head—both are perfect for a woman passport photo.
Although it’s okay if you’d like your locks and curls to be down—if that’s the case, tuck them behind your ears.
- Use some cosmetics. Just make sure not to overdo it: while some maquillage is acceptable in a female passport photo, it can’t change your appearance too much. So, don’t use fake lashes or glitter and go for something more natural.
- Strike a pose. Sit or stand in front of the camera at a distance where only your upper chest and shoulders are visible. Keep a straight posture, roll your shoulders back, chin up a bit and look at the objective lens directly (any angle will render your photo unacceptable).
- Keep a neutral facial expression. There’s this trick you must’ve heard before: try not to try. If you’re overconcentrated on how you look, it’ll show in the final photograph (and not in a good way). Just relax: it’s all you need for the best woman passport photo ever.
- Don’t apply any filters to your image. Firstly, you’re already beautiful as you are. Secondly, HMPO will reject anything other than a photo in true colours. Also, don’t go editing your picture once it’s done: any retouching is forbidden as well.
- Don’t put on any accessories. No matter if it’s a male or female passport photo, any hats or headbands are not allowed, which means nothing should cover your head (the only exception is head covering worn for medical or religious reasons).
As for jewellery, it’s acceptable as long as you don’t wear anything flamboyant or just too shiny.
- Don’t take your picture early in the morning. A slight face bloat must not make it to any woman’s passport photo! And if you didn’t sleep enough last night, the tired look will wear off in the afternoon only—that’s the best time for any lady to take her picture.
Also, it may help to work out before your UK passport photo session. The after-workout endorphins will trigger good feelings which are a must for a good female passport photo!
- Don’t stop at the first photo you get. It doesn’t mean you have to take hundreds of photos to find a perfect one (after all, you can’t really do this in a photo booth or a studio). Still, make at least a dozen and then just pick the most beautiful shot to become the UK passport photo you will be 100% happy with.
- Don’t wear anything that can match the background. If you do, all your effort may go to waste. Say, white-ish women’s blouses have a good chance of mixing with the background (in UK passport photos it’s off-white), so wear something that makes a good contrast.
Following these tips will help you find the perfect balance and create a truly feminine and charming look that’s beautiful and business-like at the same time.
Also, such a woman’s passport photo might come in handy in the future: should you apply for a business visa to work overseas, your employer will surely be impressed with your professional yet delightful image!
Let us share one more tip with you: to get a picture you’ll love, take it at home! And to do that, try our quick free service—in a way, it’s the most accessible passport photo machine near you. Upload as many images as you want and make the best one into the most beautiful woman passport photo ever!